Friday, December 18, 2015

Boon Brewery Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait (6/10)

As part of a recent Rare Beer Club shipment, I received a bottle of Boon Brewery's Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait, a Belgian Geuze style beer.

Since I'm not that familiar with the style, I looked it up.  The Beer Judge Certification Program guidelines for the "Gueuze" style say that it should have a sour aroma that may be described as "barnyard, earthy, goaty, hay, horsey, or horse blanket" as well as having fruit aroms like grapefruit, citrus, apple, rhubarb, or honey.  The flavor should be moderately sour and acidic, in balance with the malt and other characteristics.  Fruit and honey flavors are common.  Hops bitterness is usually absent or very mild.

Mariage Parfait pours a nice amber-like gold color with a thick white head that lasts a while.

The aroma is similar to a fresh lemon, with a bit of barnyard funk to it.

The flavor starts a little malty and sweet, but quickly gives way to a lemony kind of sourness.  Hints of the funk make an appearance in the flavor sporadically.  The finish is sour and bitter.

I can't say that the sour style has yet become a favorite of mine, so take my rating with a grain of salt if you're a fan of sour beers.  I gave it a 6 out of 10, primarily because it's a bit too sour for my liking.  Beer Advocate gives it a 92 out of 100 or "outstanding" rating, so I'm in the minority there.  Rate Beer also appreciates it, giving it a 98 out of 100 overall.

Although this was shipped to me as a "Rare" beer, I've seen it occasionally on store shelves around town.  I don't recall where I last saw it, but believe it may have been The Andersons General Store near Sawmill Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment