Friday, November 14, 2014

Ridgeway Warm Welcome (6/10)


Ridgeway Brewing of England produces a number of beers, many of which are winter or holiday-themed such as Bad Elf, Reindeer Droppings, and Santa’s Butt.  Warm Welcome is a nut brown ale.

Warm Welcome pours a slightly pale clear brown with finger thick off white head.

Its aroma is yeasty and a touch nutty.

Warm Welcome’s flavor is pretty basic.  It’s primarily a balanced mix of malt and hops, with a slight tip toward hops. The nut flavor is present but takes a back seat to the malt and hops.  It’s a fairly basic beer, with not a lot to really make it stand out.

Rate Beer gives Warm Welcome a 42 overall.  Beer Advocate rates it 78 or “okay”.  My own rating of 6 out of 10 is somewhere in between those.  I would probably rather drink this than most macro brews, but not by much.

I’ve only seen the Ridgeway beers for sale at The Andersons in Dublin, but you might find them at other local retailers.  The one thing they have going for them is the price, which is usually under $5 (and sometimes under $3) per bottle.

This is likely to be the last Ridgeway beer review that I ever do for Columbus Beer Scene, because to be perfectly honest I’m just not very impressed with their beers.  There’s nothing wrong with them, but they don’t do a lot for me, either.  I’d rather spend my money (and your reading) time on a beer with more potential.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Malty
Spice Level:  None
Hops Level: Low to Medium
Dominant Flavors: Malt, hops, nuts
ABV:  6%
IBU:  Unknown, but I’d estimate mid 20’s to low 30’s
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment