Thursday, November 20, 2014

Columbus Brewing Company Belgian Dark Strong Ale (7/10)

Kudos to the folks at Columbus Brewing Company for producing a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, one of my favorite styles.

It pours a very dark mahogany, with virtually no head or lacing. 

The aroma is caramel malt, spice, and alcohol.
The flavor starts bold and malty, reasonably sweet, with some dark fruit and spice.  The hops bitterness swells up, along with dark roasted malt, almost to the darkness of coffee.  Finish is bitter and lingering, which I kind of expect from CBC.  In all, a good version of the style.

I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 because it's a bit more bitter than l care for, but still quite drinkable.

I sampled this particular pint at The Daily Growler in Upper Arlington - but it may be available on draft at other retailers around town.

The Beer Advocate and RateBeer folks don't have enough reviews yet to rate this one. 

Flavor Profile:

Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
 Malty
Spice Level:  Low
Hops Level: Medium
Dominant Flavors: Malt, Dark Fruit, Hops, Spice
ABV:  9.5%
IBU:  Unknown, but I’d estimate low to mid 30s
My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment