Friday, July 25, 2014

Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple (10/10)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge of Belgium produces a number of my favorite beers.  Gulden Draak 9000 is a Belgian Quadruple Ale.  As a beer style, the Quadruple is probably my favorite, and Gulden Draak 9000 is undoubtedly one of the better Quads on the market.

It pours a very slightly cloudy coppery amber color with very little head. The head, as you can see in the image at the left, leaves behind a patchy, web-like lacing on the glass.

The aroma combines the typical Belgian bouquet of fruit, spice, and alcohol.
The flavor is exactly what you’d expect for a Quadruple, combining sweet malt, fruit, spice, and a minimal hops presence.  Despite its 10% alcohol content, it’s not an especially warming beer.  The finish is sweet and fruity, and lingers a little bit.
This is one of those occasions where Beer Advocate, Rate Beer, and I all pretty much agree.  Beer Advocate gives Gulden Draak 9000 a 92 or “outstanding” rating.  Rate Beer gives it a 95 overall.  For me, this beer is a perfect 10 out of 10. 

The only thing I’d change about Gulden Draak 9000 is that I’d like to find it on every bar and restaurant’s beer menu.

I had this particular draft sample at the Giant Eagle Market District at Kingsdale in January 2014.  The bottled version is often found in gift sets and as a single in various shops around town.  I’ve purchased it in the past at The Andersons General Store near Sawmill, Whole Foods in Dublin, and at Kenny Road Market.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Sweet
Spice Level:  Medium
Hops Level: Very Low
Dominant Flavors: Fruit, Spice, Sweet Malt
ABV:  10%
IBU:  Unknown, but I’d estimate < 20
My Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment