Friday, July 4, 2014

B. Nektar Orange Blossom Mead (5/10)

The B. Nektar Meadery of Ferndale, Michigan, makes this Orange Blossom Mead.  It’s made with honey from orange and other citrus trees, then aged on American oak. 

As you can see in the photo at the left, it pours a very clear, practically colorless, headless liquid with no head at all.

Do you remember the “wax lips” you used to see around Halloween as a kid?  They had a very distinctive and memorable aroma.  This mead has that aroma in spades.  The aroma is a dead ringer for candy wax lips.  Somewhere behind that, I pick up a bit of honey and citrus.

The flavor is something of a cross between those wax lips, a sweet mead, and orange peel.  It’s a kind of strange flavor, to be honest, but not entirely unpleasant… but not as delicious as I expected it to be.

Rate Beer gives it a 75 overall.  Beer Advocate doesn’t have a rating for it.  I’m giving it a 5 out of 10, because it’s just too odd for me to really love it.  To put this in context, Brothers Drake’s Apple Pie Mead is excellent.  I love that mead.  This one is… just OK.  B. Nektar’s Zombie Killer Cherry Cyser is MUCH better.

I had this bottle at The Winking Lizard in 2013.  I’ve not seen it on store shelves in Columbus, but I’ve seen B. Nektar’s products at Weiland’s Gourmet Market, so you might try there if you’re in the mood to drink some wax lips…

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:
Sweet
Spice Level:  None
Hops Level:  None (thankfully… hops really ruins mead if you ask me)
Dominant Flavors:  candy wax lips, honey, orange peel
ABV: 14%
IBU:  unknown, but probably near zero
My Rating:  5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment