Friday, June 21, 2013

Thirsty Dog's Mayan Last Dog (5/10)

For the record, I was not one of those people who thought the world would end when we reached the end of one of the Mayan calendars on December 21, 2012. Still, when I saw Akron-based Thirsty Dog Brewing Company's Mayan Last Dog beer, I was intrigued enough to buy it.

The label says "This may be the last beer you ever drink. Say goodbye to all you know and love with this bittersweet, big bold, black beer filled with old world and traditional Mayan spices, including honey and cocoa nibs. Drink heartily, then rest in peace."

The beer pours a deep, dark black. The head is thick and beige, lasting a very long time.

The aroma is undeniably chocolate.

The flavor starts with a deeply roasted grain (practically burnt) flavor. This backs off to a porter-like beer flavor. I get a hint of chili pepper, or some kind of pepper. A bit of coffee is in there as well. There is an earthy element to the flavor as well. It is much more like a porter than a stout in flavor. If there is a hops element to the flavor, it is hidden under the coffee and chocolate.

I don't hate the beer, but I don't love it, either. Ratebeer gives it a 67. Beer Advocate gives it an 83 or "good". I am inclined to back Ratebeer on this one. It isn't a bad beer, but not one I am in a hurry to have again. I'm giving it a 5/10.

Since this was a limited-edition beer from Thirsty Dog, I'm not sure where you could find it today.  One possibility might be Boulevard Carryout, but I can't say for certain I've seen it there.

ABV: 7%
IBU: unknown, best guess 28
My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment