Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Magic Hat Pistil (5/10)

Magic Hat #9 is one of my favorite beers.  When I saw Pistil on tap at The Daily Growler, I was immediately interested.

Pistil is a beer brewed with Dandelion petals, Pale and Acidulated malts, flaked oats, Apollo hops, and Northern Brewer hops.

It pours a pale, cloudy yellow color.  There is a small amount of white head that doesn't last long.

I didn't get any particular aroma from the beer.

The flavor starts malty and slightly bitter, and finishes bitter.  It's not a hoppy kind of bitterness, either.  It's more like kale or a similar vegetable.  Overall, I found the effect mildly unpleasant.  I'll be happy if I never drink this again.  It's one of those occasions that I'm happy to have purchased only a 5-ounce sample glass.

RateBeer gives this a 42 overall and a 46 for the style.  Beer Advocate gives it a 75 or "average" rating.

As I mentioned above, I sampled this at The Daily Growler.  I've seen it at the Giant Eagle near Bethel and Sawmill, and Kenny Road Market.

ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 20
MY Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment