Sunday, March 31, 2013

Lefebvre Barbar Winter Bok (8/10)

I'm probably going to kick myself for sharing this little gem with you…

During my visit to Kenny Road Market on Friday evening, I picked up a four-pack of Lefebvre brewery's Barbar Winter Bok, a Belgian bock style beer.  There wasn't a price on the rack, and I was shocked when it rang up at $2.99 for the four-pack. I figured at that price it was likely to be horrible, but I like Bock beers and Belgian beers, so how bad could a Belgian Bock be?  The answer:  For seventy-five cents a bottle, this is quite possibly the best Belgian style beer you're ever going to find, or perhaps the best bock!

Brasserie Lefebvre of Belgium produces this beer.  Their web site says that they use Mexican honey to brew it.  The label also mentions spices, coriander, and orange peel.

It pours a deep brown that's slightly transparent.  There is very little head, and what there is doesn't last long.

The aroma is sweet, spicy, and fruity.

The flavor has a nice mix of Belgian spice, malty sweetness, and a balanced hops load.  There are hints of molasses and citrus to it as well, probably from the coriander and orange peel.  The 8% alcohol content is very well hidden.  It doesn't strike me as especially warming or burning at all.  It's a beer that's very easy to drink for Belgian beer fans.  It's no Gulden Draak, but at the price it's a great beer.

RateBeer gives Barbar Bok (not the Winter Bok, but their "plain" Bok) a 92 overall.  Beer Advocate rates Barbar Winter Bok an 83 or "good" which pretty much matches my 8/10.

As mentioned above, I found this at Kenny Road Market where it's unlikely to last long.  I've not seen it elsewhere in Columbus.  Get it while it lasts.

ABV: 8%
IBU:  Unknown, but can't be above 18-22
My Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. A debt of gratitude is in order for making such a cool post which is truly exceptionally well written.will be alluding a considerable measure of companions about this.Keep blogging.
    beer gift baskets

    ReplyDelete