Friday, September 9, 2016

Fat Head's Sorceror (9/10)

As a home brewer, I can say with a degree of certainty that getting a Belgian-style beer right is a challenge.  You need the right mix of malts, the right sugars, the right yeast, and the right fermentation conditions.  Getting that beer to taste like something you might actually buy in a store that came from Belgium isn't simple.  It's taken me a while to get there in my own brewing activities.  That's one reason I can really appreciate the work that the good folks at Fat Head's have done in Sorceror.  This Belgian Strong Ale is undoubtedly one of the best brewed on this side of the Atlantic.  Best of all, it's an Ohio brew!

It pours a dark mahogany with thin white head that lingers a bit.

The aroma is sweet and malty, with hints of cloves and other spices. Some fruit can be detected as well.

The flavor starts mildly sweet, with cloves, Belgian spiciness, and dark fruit all playing a part.  Finish is mildly sweet and lingering.  It's a very tasty beer if you like Belgian style ales.

I'm giving it a 9 out of 10, but I'm not alone here.  Beer Advocate gives it an 85 out of 100.  Rate Beer gives it a 92 overall.

As far as I know, this beer is only available on draft, as is Fat Head's (also excellent) Belgian style Christmas beer Pimp My Sleigh.  If you see either of these on the menu, they're worth ordering.

No comments:

Post a Comment