Friday, February 12, 2016

Vliegende Paard Brouwers Prearis Quadrupel (7/10)

Long-time readers of this blog won't be surprised to know that I'm a long-time fan of Belgian beer styles. Of those, the Quadrupel is probably my favorite.  I love the malty richness, the complexity of the fruit and spice flavors, the mild hops bitterness, and amazing aromas.  When I encounter a new Quad while I'm out browsing craft beer shops, I'm always interested.

While visiting The Andersons General Store back in August 2015, I encountered a few bottles of Prearis Quadrupel.  Prearis is made by Vliegende Paard Brouwers of Oedelem, Belgium, so it's a true Belgian quad.  It won a "best craft beer" award in Belgium in 2011.

Prearis Quadrupel pours a hazy mahogany with a thick beige head that looks like a milkshake and lasts quite a while.

The aroma is malty, with an enticing mix of leather, noble hops, and dark fruit in it.

Peaeris Quad's flavor is a balance of malt, hops, a boozy warmth, and mild dark fruit flavors.  Compared to many Belgian quadrupels, it's a bit more dry and bitter.  Because I prefer my quadrupels to be slightly sweet with a balanced or subdued bitterness, I don't like this one nearly as much as many others I've had.  I'd still consider it a good quad, it's just not my favorite.  I much prefer Weyerbacher Quad, Ommegang Three Philosophers, or a number of others which are more to my taste. By comparison, Ommegang's Three Philosophers is rated at 19 IBUs (BU:GU of 0.21) versus 50 IBUs for Pearis Quadrupel (and an estimated BU:GU of about 0.52).  For that reason, I'm rating it a 7 out of 10.  When I've had it on draft, it's more like an 8, especially as it warms and the bitterness subsides a bit.

Beer Advocate rates it an 86 or "very good" while RateBeer gives it a 94 overall.

I've only seen this in bottles at The Andersons General Store near Sawmill Road.  It was on draft at The Winking Lizard on Bethel Road for a while, but I believe it's long-gone from there now.

No comments:

Post a Comment