Friday, October 2, 2015

Abita Andygator Helles Doppelbock (8/10)

Having just given a less-than-stellar review to an Abita product last Friday, I decided to share another review about one of their beers I do like, their Andygator Helles Doppelbock.

The Abita web site describes Andygator as having a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma with a dry finish.  It's rated at 8% alcohol by volume, 25 IBUs of bitterness, and a color of 8 SRM.

The aroma is definitely malty.  I don't get the fruit they're talking about, but there's a definite sweetness in the aroma.

The flavor starts mildly hoppy, but quickly turns malty and sweet.  I get hints of roasted malt, and some bready or grainy elements.  The mouthfeel is slightly watery to me.  A very easy to drink beer.

Beer Advocate rates Andygator 81 or good.  Rate Beer apparently really disliked it, giving it only 36 overall, although the weighted average of reviews is more like 6 out of 10.  I'm rating it an 8 out of 10.  I'm pretty fond of malt-forward styles, and this is definitely that.

If you're looking to find Andygator, this link to BeerMenus.com should help you find where it might be locally.  I happened to try it at The Winking Lizard on Bethel Road some time before their remodel in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment