Friday, July 31, 2015

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Imperiale (8/10)

Brasserie de l'Abbaye Des Rocs is a brewery started in 1979 in a small Belgian village.

Triple Imperiale is a Belgian strong dark ale, one of my favorite styles.

It pours a nearly opaque dark brown with finger and a half thick off white head.  The photo at left was taken after my first sip and after the head had gone down quite a bit.

The aroma is sweet, caramel, and malty.  If I hadn't known it was a Belgian beer, I might not have picked it out by the aroma.

The flavor starts with a kind of barrel-aged woody note and a strong malty sweetness.  There is a mild bitterness from the hops, but not an unpleasant one. I get some caramel in the middle, too.  There's a bit of dark fruit, like a raisin, to it also.  It's not as complex and flavorful as some Belgian ales, but still quite good.

I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.  Beer Advocate rates it a 93 or "outstanding".  Rate Beer gives it a 99 overall.  They apparently liked it a bit more than I did, which is unusual for a Belgian ale.

According to Beer Menus, there are only a few places that offer this in bottles and they're all over 300 miles away from us.  I had this particular glass at The Winking Lizard on Bethel when it was available on draft there.

No comments:

Post a Comment