Friday, February 6, 2015

Elevator Brewing Company Bully Goat (7/10)

Elevator Brewing Company produces this whiskey barrel aged red ale, called Bully Goat.  Bully Goat reportedly used Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels to age their red ale, the same one (I'm told by reliable sources) that is also known as Bleeding Buckeye Ale.

Bully Goat, as you can see in the image at the left, pours a hazy reddish brown with generous beige head on top.

The aroma is extremely oaky and bourbon-y.

The flavor mixes oak, bourbon, and malt in approximately equal portions.  There's a hops bitterness in here, but it's well balanced by the other flavor notes, making it seem less hoppy than some of Elevator's other brews.  It reminds me, favorably, of the Innis & Gunn barrel-aged beers.

The folks at Beer Advocate aren't too fond of this one, giving it a 75 or "okay" rating.  Rate Beer doesn't have enough ratings to officially give it one, though the ratings that do exist put it in the 13-15 out of 20 range (around 7 out of 10 on my scale).  I like Bully Goat, but have to admit that there are many beers I like more.  Of the Columbus-made beers, it's my favorite barrel-aged one (among those I've tasted to date).  It's kind of a shame that it's been discontinued.

I bought this bottle as part of a case deal at Kenny Road Market a while ago. As far as I know, you'll be lucky to find a bottle around town unless Elevator decides to brew it again.

Flavor Profile:
Sweet, Malty, Dry, Bitter, or Sour:  Malty
Spice Level:  None
Hops Level:  Low to Medium
Dominant Flavors:  Bourbon, Oak
ABV: 6%
IBU:  Unknown
My Rating: 7/10
Retail Price:  When I bought it as a deal at Kenny Road, $12.99 for a CASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment