Monday, December 22, 2014

Staas Brewing - Delaware, Ohio

The Staas Beer Menu
Back in June, I visited Wolf's Ridge Brewing in Columbus at their restaurant near the Convention Center.  As I sat there at the bar sipping my beer and having lunch, a couple across the bar were discussing the Belgian ales offered by Wolf's Ridge.  We talked briefly, and they recommended that I make the trek to Delaware to Staas Brewing.  I wasn't disappointed.

Staas is located in a small, unassuming little space near the main drag in Delaware.  When I visited in late August, there wasn't even a sign on the outside of the place.  Liz and Donald Staas (husband and wife) own and run it.  Liz does most of the brewing, and Donald does most of the serving.

They brew all their beers with grain only, no extracts.  Their motto "Classic styles, true to style"

Their list of beers during my visit included a Belgian Quadrupel Ale, English Extra Special Bitter (ESB) Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Double IPA, German Weizen, American Cream Ale, Saison Farmhouse Ale, American IPA, and Apricot Wheat Ale.

Left to right, Saison, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Belgian Quad, and Apricot Wheat
There wasn't time during my visit to sample everything they offered, which was unfortunate.  The husband and wife team running Staas have done an excellent job with their beers. I have no doubt that every one of them is an excellent example of the style of beer they represent.  Still, I was able to try their The Evangelist Belgian Quadrupel, Golden Delicious Belgian Strong Ale, Wildcat Sally Saison Farmhouse Ale, and Apridisiac Apricot Wheat Ale.  All of them were good.

Being a Belgian beer fan, Golden Delicious and The Evangelist stood out.  I absolutely loved The Evangelist and would happily have sat there drinking that quad until someone had to carry me out of the place.

If you get the chance (or better yet, if you live in or near Delaware), I can't recommend making a visit to Staas Brewing strongly enough.  Before or after your visit, head around the corner to Thurman Burger's Delaware location and to the beer and homebrew shop nearby.

Donald Staas, Serving Beer

Staas Brewery - From the Street
Beer Menu - Showing The Evangelist, The Runner Up, Golden Delicious, The Pacer, and Flood Water

Senior Status, Baumholder, Staas Ice, Wildcat Sally, Presidential, and Apridisiac

Lil' Belgian, Blue Spruce Spring, and the Designated Driver Menu

The "About Us" page on the back of the beer menu



No comments:

Post a Comment