Friday, October 3, 2014

Saranac Pumpkin Ale (6/10)

Saranac Brewing Company of New York produces this pumpkin ale.
Aroma is sour pumpkin and toasted grain.  I don’t get much else.
It delivers a finger-thick off-white head.

Flavor starts with smoked barley, followed with a pumpkin funk and ginger, and some nearly-undetectable spice.  The roasted dark malts are the overwhelming flavor component.  This isn’t bad, just not what I want from a pumpkin beer.

Ratebeer gives it a 38/100Beer Advocate gives it a 76/78 rating.  I found it disappointing overall.  Not bad as a beer but not what I expect in a pumpkin ale.


Pumpkin Beer Flavor Profile:
More standard beer flavor or more spiced ale:  Beer
Pumpkin intensity:  Low
Spice intensity:  Low
Malty or hoppy:  Malty
Sweet, balanced, or dry:  Dry
Dominant flavor:  Smoky grain
ABV:  5.4%
IBU:  Unknown, but estimate in the 18-20 range
My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment