Friday, February 7, 2014

Great Lakes Deschutes Class of ‘88 Porter (5/10)

Deschutes Brewery (of Portland, Oregon) and Great Lakes Brewing Company (Cleveland, Ohio) collaborated on this Imperial Smoked Porter, a member of their “Class of ‘88” series of beers.  The Class of ‘88 series refers to the fact that both breweries were founded in 1988 and are celebrating their silver anniversaries this year.

The beer pours a nearly pitch black color with a thick, creamy tan head.

The aroma contains smoke, chocolate, and slightly hoppy.

The flavor follows the aroma.  It’s very smoky (probably too much so), with a little chocolate, moderate hops bitterness, an almost bacon-like element, and something sort of medicinal that I didn’t care for (maybe glass sanitizer?).  Regardless, I was happy to order a different beer after I finished it.

I’m rating it only 5/10, which puts me in the minority.  RateBeer gives it an 88Beer Advocate also rates it an 88.

I sampled this on draft at The Winking Lizard on Bethel Road.  It’s available in bottled form, but I haven’t seen it in any recent beer shopping trips so I can’t tell you where to look for it.

ABV:  9%
IBU: 50
My Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment