Friday, April 12, 2013

Wells Banana Bread Beer (3/10)

Banana bread is one of my favorite foods.  Few things are better than a nice warm slice of the stuff.  When I saw Wells Banana Bread Beer on the list at my favorite local tavern, I had to give it a try.

It pours a slightly reddish brown with a coarse, foamy white head.

The aroma is overwhelmingly one of bananas, and very pleasant.

The flavor had little or no resemblance to bananas, but I did catch a hint of cloves.  It's somewhat bitter, which is inconsistent with the aroma.  I didn't think it was terrible, but it's not a beer I plan to order again.

Perhaps they served me a bad bottle, I don't know.  The reviews on Beer Advocate all mention the banana flavor, even going so far as to describe it as tasting like a piece of banana bread soaked in beer.  I definitely didn't get that from it at all.  Apart from the banana aroma and cloves in the flavor, I could have been convinced it was an ordinary ale.

Although I tried this particular beer at The Winking Lizard Tavern on Bethel Road, I've seen it for sale at Cost Plus World Market, Weiland's Gourmet Market, Giant Eagle Market District at Kingsdale, Kenny Road Market, and Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington.

ABV: 5.2%
IBU: unknown
My rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment