Saturday, January 5, 2013

Magic Hat Heart of Darkness (7/10)

Magic Hat Brewing Company's Heart of Darkness is described as a Winter beer and a stout.

It pours a nearly black dark-brown color with a finger-thick brown head.  As you drink it, the lacing is a thick sheet on the glass, which dissipates into a thin lattice pattern later on.

The aroma is one of roasted malt and chocolate.   The mouth feel is smooth and thick, something like a melted milkshake.

The flavor matches the aroma perfectly.  You'll get a strong roasted malt bitterness at the outset, followed by some malty, sweet dark chocolate.  The flavor is the same from start to finish.

Overall, I like Heart of Darkness, but no more or less than I like any other stout.

The Beer Advocate crew is slightly split on this one.  The "Bros" give it a 97 while the visitors rate it merely 89 or good.

As a stout, it's certainly one of the better ones.  As a beer overall, I stand by the 7/10 rating.

I sampled this at The Pint Room in Dublin.  I've seen it in bottles at Giant Eagle supermarkets.

ABV:  5.7%

IBU:  unknown

My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment