Friday, September 28, 2012

Mendocino Bock (9/10)


Mendocino Brewing Company, located in Saratoga Springs, New York, produces this delicious bock beer.

It pours a clear, brownish orange with minimal tan-colored head. There is virtually no lacing left behind.

The aroma hints at a malty nature and a high alcohol content. A hint of yeast can be detected as well. It is a beer that smells good, and I don't say that very often.

The flavor is where Mendocino Bock really earns its points with me. It is as malty as its aroma portends, and has a rock candy sweetness to it that is perfectly balanced with a touch of hops. If there is any imbalance to it, and I don't think there is, it might lean toward malty sweetness more than hops. But for me, that is just fine.

Beer Advocate visitors and I disagree on this one. They call it "average" and rate it 78/100. I think they're selling it short... Or perhaps the extra aging mine had improved the flavor (it's a spring release but I am having it in September).

This is a beer I will definitely add to my list of go-to brews.

I believe this was purchased at Kenny Road Market or Cost Plus World Market.

ABV: 6%
IBU: 28
My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment