Friday, June 1, 2012

Rogue Ales Dead Guy Ale (6/10)

Rogue Ales produces several interestingly-named products.  Dead Guy Ale, a Maibock or Helles Bock style ale, is one that I order when I am in the mood for a hoppier beer, which isn't often.

The label features a skeleton wearing a hat, sitting on top of a beer cask.  It pours into the glass a light brown color with a pale tan head.  It leaves behind a lot of lacing in the glass.  There is a moderate hops presence, approaching the upper limits of my taste for it.  The flavor is slightly sour with hops bitterness behind it.  I'm not sure why I like it exactly, but I do.

Beer Advocate gives it an 89-94, which rates it as "good" to "exceptional".

I had this particular bottle at a pizza shop on Lane Avenue, but Rogue Dead Guy Ale is available at many local retailers.  I've specifically seen it at Whole Foods in Upper Arlington and Kenny Road Market.

ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 40
My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment